Our research interests are in the general area of communication and computer networks, distributed systems, and wireless/mobile computing. As the Internet becomes an essential part of our everyday life, it has grown to a complex distributed networked system that is hard to characterize. We strive towards developing foundations for measuring and validating the system behavior, dynamic interactions between components, and end-to-end properties of the Internet.
Through the various RUBINET projects, we explore novel network architectures, protocols, and algorithms that ensure reliable, secure, and efficient operation of large-scale computer networks and enable new, flexible network services. Our approach is often driven by analysis of real Internet traffic, network structures, and control-plane dynamics using massive sets of measurement data obtained from various sources (e.g., IP backbone, enterprise networks, and end hosts) and across different protocol layers. Specific topics include: Internet measurements and analysis, anomaly detection, routing, traffic engineering, network management, overlay/P2P systems, wireless multimedia, and vehicular ad-hoc networks.
The following is a list of RUBINET projects and research topics.
- LeAP: Learn, Adapt, & Profile -- Beating the odds in traffic measurements/detection with optimal online learning and adaptive policies
- SCRUB@ucd: Multi-dimensional Data Analytics for Detecting Malicious Activities
- Zip-OSN: Zip-OSN: Towards Building Time Capsule for Online Social Activities
- C3PO: Connected Cars & Corridors for Pervasive Sensing and Control of Vehicular Flows
Past ProjectsNetwork/Traffic Measurements and Management
- ProgME: Towards Programmable Measurement Architecture
- OSN: Measurement and Analysis of Large-Scale Online Social Networks and Applications
- SaND: Sampling the Internet for Effective Network Anomaly Detection
- RoSE: Robust, Secure, and Efficient Routing
- FIREMAN: Modeling, Validation, and Optimization of Distributed Firewalls
- CPR: Cooperative Peer-to-Peer Repair
- WiMO: Resource Management in Wireless Mesh Networks
- MINESTRONE: Mobile INfrastructure Enablers for STReaming Optimization and NEw Services
- OpCom: Opportunistic Communications
- VGrid: Vehicular-based Ad Hoc Grid Computing