- Ph.D., Information Engineering, University of Padova, Italy (joint graduate program with UC Berkeley), 1993.
- Laurea (joint B.S. and M. S.) in Electrical and Electronics Engineering, University of Padova, Italy, 1988.
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, UC Davis, 2013-Present
- Professor, Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informazione e Bioingegneria, Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 2002-Present
- Researcher (Assistant Professor), Dipartimento di Elettronica, Informazione, Politecnico di Milano, Italy, 1993-2002.
- Postdoctoral Researcher. Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, UC Berkeley, 1993.
- Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, College of Engineering, University of California, Davis Campus
- Dipartimento di Elettronica e Informazione, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
- Multimedia Signal Processing
- Sound analysis, synthesis and processing
- Space-time audio processing
- Acoustic scene analysis and rendering
- Music Information Retrieval
- Computer Vision
- 3D Vision
The research interests of Augusto Sarti are in the area of multimedia signal processing, with particular focus on space-time audio processing, sound analysis, synthesis and processing, music information processing, image analysis and 3D vision.
- He contributed to the area of geometrical acoustics with:
- novel plenacoustic imaging solutions (soundfield cameras)
- novel visibility-based beam tracing solutions for interactive acoustic modeling
- novel geometric plenacoustic rendering methods based on speaker arrays
- solutions based on projective geometry for the inference of the geometry and the reflectivity of the environment, based on microphone arrays.
- In the area of sound synthesis, his main contributions are in the development of a generalized theory of Wave Digital Filters, for the automatic modeling of the nonlinear interactions between physical acoustic systems.
- In the area of Music Information Retrieval he has focused on evolutive musical genre estimation and visualization, as well as musical information extraction (rhythmic, tonal, harmonic/modal, structural).
- In the area of computer vision, he developed various methods for 3D vision, covering self-calibration of multicamera systems, camera egomotion estimation, depth estimation, surface reconstruction, using tools from projective geometry and geometric algebra.
- In the area of nonlinear system theory, he developed an iterative method for the algebraic inversion of Volterra systems up to an arbitrary order.
He also worked on a variety of other topics and applications, including 3D data analysis (GPR analysis, fracture estimation); multidimensional signal processing (signal decimation in multidimensional lattices and filter design); video analysis for surveillance applications; gesture and face recognition; motion vector estimation; tempering detection; non-holonomic motion planning on Lie Groups and Lie Algebra; voice and sound classification; speaker recognition; etc.
- D. Markovic, F. Antonacci, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Soundfield Imaging in the Ray Space”. To appear on IEEE Tr. on Audio Speech and Language Processing, 2013.
- P. Bestagini, M. Compagnoni, F. Antonacci, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “TDOA-Based Acoustic Source Localization in the Space-Range Reference Frame”. J. on Multi-Dimensional Systems and Signal Processing. Mar. 29, 2013. DOI 10.1007/s11045-013-0233-8
- F. Antonacci, J. Filos, M.R.P. Thomas, E.A.P. Habets, S. Tubaro, A. Sarti, P.A. Naylor, “Inference of Room Geometry from Acoustic Impulse Responses”, IEEE Tr. on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Vol. 20, No. 10, Dec. 2012, pp. 2683-2695.
- A. Canclini, F. Antonacci, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Localization of Acoustic Sources in Distributed Asynchronous Microphone Networks”, IEEE Tr. on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Vol. 21, No. 2, Feb. 2013, pp. 439-443.
- M. Marcon, E. Frigerio, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “3D wide baseline correspondences using depth-maps”, EURASIP Signal Processing: Image Communication. Vol. 27, No. 8, Sept. 2012, pp. 849–855.
- M. Compagnoni, P. Bestagini, F. Antonacci, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Localization of Acoustic Sources through the Fitting of Propagation Cones using Multiple Independent Arrays”. IEEE Tr. on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing. Vol. 20, No. 7, Sept. 2012, pp. 1964-1975.
- G. De Sanctis, A. Sarti. “Virtual Analog Modeling in the Wave-Digital Domain”. IEEE Tr. on Audio, Speech, And Language Processing. Vol. 18 No. 4, May 2010, pp. 715-727.
- F. Antonacci, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro. “Two-dimensional beam-tracing from Visibility Diagrams for Real-Time Acoustic Rendering”. Journal on Advances in Signal Processing, Vol. 2010, Feb. 2010, pp. 1-18.
- A. Sarti, G. De Sanctis, “Systematic Methods for the Implementation of Nonlinear Wave Digital Structures”. IEEE Tr. on Circuits and Systems I, Vol. 56, No. 2, Feb. 2009, pp. 460-472.
- G. Valenzise, G. Prandi, M. Tagliasacchi, A. Sarti. “Identification of sparse audio tampering using distributed source coding and compressive sensing techniques”. Journal On Image And Video Processing, Vol. 2009, pp. 1- 12.
- F. Antonacci, M. Foco, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Fast Tracing of Acoustic Beams and Paths through Visibility Lookup”. IEEE Tr. on Audio, Speech and Language Processing, Vol. 16, No. 4, May 2008, pp. 812-824.
- Dell’acqua, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “3D Motion from structures of points, lines and planes”, Image and Vision Computing, Vol. 26, No. 4, April 2008, pp. 529-549.
- M. Marcon, L. Piccarreta, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Fast PDE Approach to Surface Reconstruction from Large Cloud of Points”, Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol. 112, 2008, pp. 274-285.
- R. Rabenstein, S. Petrausch, A. Sarti, G. De Sanctis, C. Erkut, M. Karjalainen, “Block-based physical modeling for digital sound synthesis”. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine. Vol. 24, No. 2, Feb. 2007, pp. 42-54.
- M. Tagliasacchi, D. Maestroni, S. Tubaro, A. Sarti, “Motion Estimation And Signaling Techniques For 2D+t Scalable Video Coding”, Journal on Applied Signal Processing, Vol. 2006, Jan. 2006, pp. 1-21.
- A. Dell’Acqua, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, L. Zanzi, “Detection of linear objects in GPR data”. Signal Processing, Vol. 84, No. 4, April 2004, pp. 785-799.
- A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Image-based multi-resolution implicit object modeling”. Journal of Applied Signal Processing. Vol. 01, N. 10, pp. 1053-1066, 2002.
- A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Image-based surface modeling: a multi-resolution approach”. Signal Processing. Vol. 82, No. 9, September 2002, pp. 1212-1232.
- A. Sarti, S. Tubaro, “Detection and characterisation of planar fractures using a 3D Hough transform”. Signal Processing, Vol. 82, No. 9, September 2002, pp. 1269-1282.
- F. Pedersini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “Visible Surface Reconstruction with Accurate Localization of Object Boundaries”, IEEE Tr. on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 10, No. 2, March 2000, pp. 278-291.
- A. Sarti, G. De Poli: “Toward Nonlinear Wave Digital Filters”. IEEE Tr. on Signal Processing. Vol. 47, No. 6, June 1999, pp. 1654-1668.
- F. Pedersini, P. Pigazzini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “Multicamera Motion Estimation for High-Accuracy 3D Reconstruction”. Signal Processing, Vol. 80, No. 1, pp. 1-21, Jan. 2000.
- F. Pedersini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “Object-Based Sound Synthesis for Virtual Environments”. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine. Vol. 17, No. 6, Nov. 2000, pp. 37-51.
- F. Pedersini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “Multicamera Systems: Calibration and Applications”. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine. Vol. 16, No. 3, May 1999, pp. 55-65.
- F. Pedersini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “Accurate and Simple Geometric Calibration of Multi-Camera Systems”. Signal Processing, Vol. 77, No. 3, 1999, pp. 309-334.
- F. Pedersini, P. Pigazzini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “3D Area Matching with Arbitrary Multiview Geometry”. Signal Processing: Image Communications. Vol 14, No. 1-2, 1998, pp. 71-94.
- F. Pedersini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “Estimation and Compensation of Subpixel Edge Localization Error”. IEEE Tr. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol. 19, No. 10, Oct. 1997, pp.1278-84.
- F. Pedersini, A. Sarti, S. Tubaro: “Joint Sublattice Selection and Prefilter Design for the Optimal Decimation of 2D Digital Signals”. IEE Proceedings -Vision, Image and Signal Processing, Vol.144, No. 2, Apr. 1997, pp. 98-107.
- G. Lazzarin, S. Pupolin, A. Sarti: “Nonlinearity Compensation in Digital Radio Systems”. IEEE Transactions on Communications, Vol. 42, No. 2-3-4, Feb.-Mar.-Apr. 1994, pp. 988-999.
- A. Sarti, S. Pupolin: “Recursive techniques for the synthesis of a pth-order inverse of a Volterra system”. European Transactions on Telecommunications. Vol. 3, No. 4, July-August 1992, pp. 315-322.