Financial Aid

Financial support for graduate students in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Graduate Program is available in the form of fellowships, teaching assistantships, and graduate student researcher positions. University fellowship applications are available online at

Applicants who wish to be considered for a fellowship or graduate scholarship must file all admission and fellowship applications by January 5.

Fellowships and Graduate Scholarships

Fellowships and Graduate Scholarships are awarded on the basis of scholarship and promise of outstanding academic and professional achievement. Awards may consist of a stipend and/or a waiver of tuition and fees. In many cases, support is packaged into multi-year support offers.

In evaluating applications, the department gives consideration to the extent and quality of previous undergraduate and graduate work, evidence of ability in research, evidence of intellectual capacity, and promise of productive scholarship. For some fellowships, financial need or the availability of other sources of support in the graduate program is relevant to the selection process. Only students with a minimum 3.5 cumulative undergraduate or graduate grade-point average will be considered for a fellowship. Domestic applicants are strongly encouraged to file a FAFSA form.

GAANN Fellowships

The GAANN Fellowship program, funded by the US Department of Education, is targeted to domestic Ph.D. students with superior ability and demonstrated financial need in the area of Computer Engineering. Financial need is determined by FAFSA. GAANN fellows must make a commitment to complete a Ph.D. degree within a five year period, during which the fellow will receive full financial assistance. An integrated graduate program will provide the fellow with the academic coursework, research experience, and intellectual environment required for teaching and/or research positions in the U.S.

Graduate Student Researcher Positions

A Graduate Student Researcher (GSR) participates in a faculty member’s research project during the academic and summer quarters. Typically the research is in conjunction with the student’s MS or PhD thesis work.

GSR positions are appointed directly by the faculty. Faculty obtain funding for these positions from externally-funded research grants or contracts. Students are encouraged to consult with faculty members working in their field of interest concerning availability of GSR positions. In order to take advantage of GSR opportunities, it is extremely important that students contact faculty in their area as soon as possible.

Accel Partners’ Fellowships

Accel Partners’ Fellowships support students in the area of high-speed communications. These fellowships are awarded on a competitive basis to students in high-speed analog circuits, optical networking and devices, photonic materials, signal processing, communications, and micromachining.

Northrup Grumman

The Northrup Grumman Fellowship is awarded to our top entering Ph.D. student who is U.S. Citizen or permanent resident and who shows promise in the areas of Communications, Electronic Circuits, Optoelectronics, or Signal Processing.

Teaching Assistantships

Teaching Assistants are chosen for excellent scholarship and promise as a teacher. They serve an apprenticeship under the tutelage and supervision of a regular faculty member. A teaching assistant must be a registered graduate student in full-time status.

Instruction and training is provided to teaching assistants in the Fall quarter course, EEC 390, The Teaching of Electrical Engineering, and throughout the academic year in the course EEC 396, Teaching Assistant Practicum. Instruction and training is also provided by the campus Teaching Resources Center.

Departmental educational needs are the main criteria in the selection of Teaching Assistants. It is the goal of the department to provide the best possible teaching environment and learning assistance to undergraduate students, in addition to providing assistance to faculty members teaching courses.

Information on applying for a Teaching Assistantship will be sent when an applicant is admitted into the graduate program and when requested on the department supplemental application form.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)

All graduate students who are U.S. Citizens, permanent residents, or immigrants are encouraged to file a FAFSA as early as possible, but no later than March 1. This form, submitted directly to the Federal Student Aid Program Office, is used to determine financial need only. Students applying for need-based financial aid (i.e., work-study, GAANN) are required to complete the FAFSA application. After December 1 of each year, the FAFSA may be obtained from the Financial Aid Office, any US institution of higher education, or online at

Financial Aid Office

Loans, grants, and work-study employment are administered by the Financial Aid Office. These funds must be used for education-related expenses and are intended to supplement the student’s own resources. For further information write:

Financial Aid Office
University of California
One Shields Avenue
Davis, California 95616
(530) 752-2390, FAX (916) 752-7339
Or visit their Website at: