The following courses may be used:

Any upper-division courses in electrical and computer engineering, chemistry, engineering, mathematics, physics, and statistics can count towards the technical elective requirement.  In addition, the following courses are acceptable:

  • EEC 192, 199 (Up to a maximum of 6 units for any combination of engineering courses numbered 190C, 192, 198, and 199)
  • Biological Sciences 101, 101D, 102, 103, 104, 120, 120P, 122, 122P, 132
  • Chemistry 2B, 2C
  • Engineering 35, 45
  • Economics 100A, 100B, 101, 102, 103, 122, 140
  • Management 11A, 11B, 100, 120, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180


The following courses may not be used:

  • Chemistry 195, 197
  • Engineering Computer Science 188, 132, 155, 157
  • EEEL Majors: ECS 154A & 154B (may not be used if student took EEC 170 as a Core Elective)•ECOM Majors: ECS 154A & 154B cannot be used
  • Engineering 198: Gearing Up for Grad School/Undergraduate Research
  • Engineering 160 & 190 (if not used to satisfy a major requirement, restricted to one unit of technical elective)
  • Mathematics 135A, 197TC
  • Physics 116, 137, 160 (both are restricted to one unit of technical elective), 195, 197T
  • Statistics 100, 102, 103, 104, 106, 108, 120, 130A


EEC 192: Academic Credit

How to get academic credit (technical elective) for an internship:

You can receive up to 6 units of EEC 192 units toward the Technical Elective requirement (6 units max of any combined EEC 190, 192, 198, 199), the steps below will help guide you through this process.

  1. Identify a Faculty Sponsor- you’ll need an ECE Faculty member to support your internship to verify that it’s worthy of academic credit.  If you have a summer job doing computer repairs for you aunts/uncles, that likely will not qualify as academic credit worth, use your discretion. A list of our faculty and their areas of research can be found here: .  You should be in communication PRIOR to the start of your internship as they might request a weekly check-in, project update etc.  Junior & Seniors: this is something to talk about during your mandated faculty advising.
  2. Complete the first two pages of this document and send/go over with your Faculty Sponsor so that you’re on the same page regarding your requirements, goals etc.
  3. At the conclusion of your internship have your Site Supervisor complete the last page of the above 192 form.
  4. Turn in the entire 3 pages to me when you return for Fall Quarter.  I will give you a CRN for the EEC 192 units and you can add it to your Fall schedule (so you don’t have to pay for the units over Summer).
  5. While it is likely you earned 12 units (40 hrs/week)  for a summer internship only 6 can count toward your Technical Elective requirement.  When registering you’ll adjust the hours to the correct amount (max 6).

More information regarding 192 units and Internships can be found here:

EEC 199: Undergraduate Research

Students can do research with faculty members as EEC 199 (third and fourth years). Students need to work with the faculty on the details of the research project. Then, both the student and the faculty will need to complete the “Research Academic Credit 199 Variable Unit Form” form which is signed by the faculty member and brought to 2064 Kemper. The form can be found here:

You can receive up to 6 units of EEC 199 units toward the Technical Elective requirement (6 units max of any combined EEC 190, 192, 198, 199).