ECE Machines and Tool Setup for EEC 281
EEC 281 homework projects are done using CAD tools located on the ECE
computers in Kemper 2107. You may either use those computers by sitting at
their consoles in Kemper 2107 or log into them remotely from your own computer.
Setting up an ECE computer account
If you have not yet set up an ECE computer account, go to the ECE home page
click Resources, click Computing Support, and look for "Request ECE Computer
Account" and fill out and submit the form.
Logging in to a suitable machine
1. Logging in from linux
Since the waveform viewer requires the display of its X window,
X forwarding must be handled correctly. Within the ECE department from
linux, ssh machinename should work; if not,
type ssh -Y machinename instead.
The key is to enable trusted
X11 forwarding. For example, when logging in via OpenSSH (version 3.8
and later), use ssh -Y machinename
to enable trusted X11 forwarding. The default is untrusted with a "-X"
flag, which will cause simvision to fail to forward the display.
2. Straightforward method using putty for ssh
Logging in to a remote machine securely is done through "ssh".
- Download and install putty from
putty.org > "Download PuTTY here" > www.chiark.greeneend.org.uk
> Binaries > LatestReleaseVers >
For Windows on Intel x86 > PuTTY > putty.exe
- Open putty, in the "Host Name (or IP address)" field, type
"ComputerName.ece.ucdavis.edu". For example, for "python", then this field should be: "python.ece.ucdavis.edu"
- "Port" field is 22, "Connection type" select "SSH"
- Then just click "Open", the putty window will pop up ask you to type your username and password, they are the same as you use to login to the machine
on its console.
3. Using VNC from Windows or Mac
Positive: VNC will allow you to continue your entire environment including
open windows and simulation sessions even if you login from a different
machine or if your internet connection drops.
Negatives: Once started, the environment must be kept on one machine.
The session window size can not be changed which can be inconvenient if you
log into your environment from different machines with different monitor
- Download and install VNC Viewer (or TightVNC Viewer)
- Log into a suitable machine for your 281 work
- Create a VNC desktop by the command: vncserver. This will create a desktop with default resolution. If you want to specify the resolution by yourself, then you can use the -geometry option. The command will become: vncserver -geometry width x height. For example, your monitor resolution is 1920x1080, then just use: vncserver -geometry 1920x1080. Then a new desktop will be created, such as: 'python:1 (username)' desktop is python:1
- Open TightVNC Viewer, if you want to log into "python" and the desktop number in step 4 is '1', in the "Remote Host" entry, type in: python.ece.ucdavis.edu:1, then click "Connect', a new small window will pop up for you to enter your password, after that, you are connected to the target machine
- Note: You may receive an "Authentication Error" after you type your
password in VNC, even if you use the correct password. To fix this problem,
- Close all your vnc sessions.
- Then, on a 2107 computer, delete your ~/.vnc folder with:
rm -rf ~/.vnc
- Then run: vncserver
Available ECE machines
All ECE machines in 2107 Kemper Hall have the same installation of NC Verilog and Design Compiler. (confirmed by Phil)
Linux: 3.10.0-514.6.1.e17.x86_64 (from uname -spr)
Ncverilog: 15.20-s012 (from ncverilog -version)
Design compiler: J-2014.09-SP2 (from dc_shell -version)
ECE machines that are active as of Jan. 24, 2017:
When logging in, add the suffix .ece.ucdavis.edu after each
ECE Machines that are offline as of Jan 24, 2017:
The hostname snake.ece covers all systems in 2107 Kemper Hall. You may
either login to snake.ece.ucdavis.edu and be forwarded to an available
machine, or directly login to one of the machines shown above. If a
machine that is offline is selected, it will not respond to remote
Setting up your unix environment
- Open up a new terminal
- Type 'setup cadence' (without quotes) and press enter
- Type 'setup designcompiler' (without quotes) and press enter
- The tools will work once you close this terminal and open up a new one.
2017/01/25 Complete update of machines from SW and PW
2015/01/16 Changed procedure to point to ECE machines instead of VCL
2013/02/07 Updated ECE machines in 2107
2011/01/27 Updated ssh -Y info
2010/01/27 Updated DOT.cshrc path and machine info