- (530) 752-7394
- Ph.D., Rice University, 1965
- M.S.E.E., Rice University, 1964
- B.S.E.E., National Taiwan University, 1959
- 1999-present Professor, University of California, Davis
- 1987-1999 Professor, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 1996-1997 Visiting Chair Professor for Telecommunications, Technical University of Munich, Munich, Germany.
- 1996 Distinguished Visiting Professor, Graduate School of Information Science, Nara Institute of Science and Technology, Nara, Japan.
- 1989-1995 Chairman, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 1986-1988 Irma Runyon Chair Professor (endowed), Texas A & M University
- 1986-1988 Associate Head, Department of Electrical Engineering, Texas A & M University 1983-1985 Professor, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 1982-1983 Professor, Texas A & M University
- 1982-summer Visiting Chair Professor, South Australian Institute of Technology, South Australia
- 1973-1981 Professor, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 1978-1979 Visiting Scientist, IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center
- 1971-1972 Visiting Associate Professor, University of Utah
- 1969-1971 Associate Professor, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 1966-1969 Assistant Professor, University of Hawaii at Manoa
- 1965-1966 Electrical Engineer, University of Hawaii at Manoa
Electrical and Computer Engineering Graduate Group
Algebraic Coding Theory, Coded Modulation, Error Control Systems, and Satellite Communications.
Industrial Research Sponsors
Northrop Grumman Corporation, LSI Corporation, Intel, SanDisk and Cadence.
Professor Lin performs research in channel coding for reliable information transmission and digital data storage. His current research areas include: algebraic coding theory, construction of low density parity check codes, soft-decision decoding algorithms, turbo coding, coded modulation techniques, error control systems, and satellite communications.
Lan Lan, Lingqi Zeng, Ying Y. Tai, Lei Chen, Shu Lin, Khaled A. S. Abdel-Ghaffar: Construction of Quasi-Cyclic LDPC Codes for AWGN and Binary Erasure Channels: A Finite Field Approach. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 53(7): 2429-2458 (2007)
Ying Y. Tai, Lan Lan, Lingqi Zeng, Shu Lin, Khaled A. S. Abdel-Ghaffar: Algebraic Construction of Quasi-Cyclic LDPC Codes for the AWGN and Erasure Channels. IEEE Transactions on Communications 54(10): 1765-1774 (2006)
Heng Tang, Jun Xu, Shu Lin, Khaled A. S. Abdel-Ghaffar: Codes on finite geometries. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 51(2): 572-596 (2005)
Yu Kou, Shu Lin, Marc P. C. Fossorier: Low-density parity-check codes based on finite geometries: A rediscovery and new results. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 47(7): 2711-2736 (2001)
Shu Lin and Daniel J. Costello: Error Control Coding (2nd Edition), Prentice Hall, June 2004