Dr. Jinfeng Zhao
- Ph.D. University of California, Davis, May 2008
- M.S. University of California, Riverside, March 2004
- M.S. Dalian Institute of Chemical Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, July 2002
- B.S. Dalian University of Technology, China, July 1999
- UC Davis Postdoctoral fellow, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, May 2008 – Present
- Electrical and Computer Engineering Graduate Group
- Applied Science Graduate Group
- Chemical Engineering and Material Science Engineering group
Sol-gel Method for Nano Materials Synthesis, Spark Plasma Sintering, Nano Composite Cathode Fabrication, High Power Microwave Sources.
My research is focusing on high current density and long life nano composite scandate dispenser cathode fabrication. I am developing the nanocomposite cathode technology to achieve a final goal of 50 A/cm2 with 900oC operation required to fulfill the sheet beam current density milestone while maintaining the emission uniformity and achieving lifetime of >104 hours.
I intend to explore sol-gel process to manufacture nanopowders for cathode. The cathodes are then produced using spark plasma sintering (SPS) to combine and densify these materials
- S.Z. Wang, et al., "Protonic conductivity of nano-structured yttria-stabilized zirconia: dependence on grain size", Journal of Materials Chemistry, vol: 20, iss: 5, 990-994, 2010
- S.P. Chen, Q.S. Meng,; J.F. Zhao, et al., "Synthesis and characterization of TiB2-Ni-Ni3Al-CrNi alloy graded material by field-activated combustion", Journal of alloys and compounds, vol: 476, iss: 1-2, pg: 889-893, 2009
- S.S. Chen, H.J. Avila-Paredes, J.F. Zhao, S. Kim, et al., "Direct calorimetric measurement of grain boundary and surface enthalpies in yttria-stabilized zirconia", Physical chemistry chemical physics, vol:11, iss: 17, pg:3039-3042, 2009
- J.F. Zhao, T. Holland, C. Unuvar, Z.A. Munir, "Sparking plasma sintering of nanometric tungsten carbide " Int. Journal of Refractory Metals & Hard Materials, 27, 130–139 (2009).
- D. Roberts, J.F. Zhao, Z.A. Munir, "Reactive Sintering of Ultrahard MgAlB14 by Pulse Electric Current" Int. Journal of Refractory Metals & Hard Materials, vol: 27, iss: 3, pg: 556-563, 2009
- J.F. Zhao, U. Anselmi-Tamburini, C. Unuvar, Z.A. Munir, "Microstructural evolution during the dissolution of nickel in liquid aluminum under the influence of an electric field" Acta Materialia, 56, 1840–1848 (2008).
- Q.S. Meng, Y.L. Shen, J.F. Zhao, S.P. Chen, C. Unuvar, Z.A. Munir, "Synthesis and characterization of TiB2-Ni-Ni3Al-405 steel graded material by field-activated combustion" Materials Science and Engineering A. Accepted.
- C.R. Liu, J.F. Zhao, X.Y. Lu, Q.S. Meng, Y.P. Zhao, Z.A. Munir, "Field-assisted diffusion bonding and bond characterization of glass to aluminum" Journal of materials science, vol:43 iss:15 pg:5076 -5082 (2008)
- J.F. Zhao, J.E. Garay, U. Anselmi-Tamburini, Z.A. Munir, "Directional electromigration-enhanced interdiffususion in the Cu-Ni system" Journal of applied physics, 102, 114902 (2007)
- J.F. Zhao, C. Unuvar, U. Anselmi-Tamburini, Z.A. Munir, "Kinetics of current-enhanced dissolution of nickel in liquid aluminum" Acta Materialia, 55, 5592–5600 (2007).