- B.S.: Physics Department, Chung-Ang University, Republic of Korea (Early Graduation, Summa Cum Laude), August. 1999
- PhD: School of Physics and Astronomy, Seoul National University, Republic of Korea, Feb. 2006
- Associate Project Research Scientist, Applied Science Dept., UC-Davis (May. 2010 - Present)
- Assistant Project Research Scientist, Applied Science Dept., UC-Davis (June. 2008 - April. 2010)
- Visiting Research Associate, Applied Science Dept., UC-Davis (Nov. 2006 - May. 2008)
- Postdoctral Research Fellow, Physics Dept., Seoul National University (Feb. 2006 - Nov. 2006)
- Photonic Crystal Optics Technology course, Optical Technology Education Center (OTEC; In-Ha University, South Korea) (Mar. 2005)
- Visiting Researcher, Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC) (Aug. 2001 - Feb. 2003)
- High-Temp Superconductor Lab Program, Winter School, Pohang University of Science and Technology (POSTECH, South Korea) (Dec. 1999 - Jan. 2000)
- Millimeter Wave Group, Applied Science Dept., UC-Davis (Nov. 2006 - Present)
- Vacuum Electrophysics Lab (VEL), Physics Dept., Seoul National Univ. (March. 2000 - Nov. 2006)
- Klystron/Microwave Dept., Stanford Linear Accelerator Center (SLAC) (Aug. 2001 - Feb. 2003)
- Micro- and nano-electromechanical systems (MEMS/NEMS)
- Plasma/beam physics, RF engineering
- RF electron devices of photonic and plasmonic metamaterials for millimeter and submillimeter wave applications (THz and Sub-THz)
- Surface plasmons (Electric metamaterials, ENG)
- Artificial magnetism materials (Magnetic metamaterials, MNG)
- Double negative materials (DNG)
- Photonic crystal metamaterials
The main research theme of Dr. Shin is a fundamental study of radiation dynamics of in-vacuo kinetic electrons in periodically varying electronic and photonic media, which is extended to an investigation of the development of a compact powerful millimeter and submillimeter EM wave active device. His research mainly focuses on the design of novel vacuum electronic devices compatible with MEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical-System) technology, including multi-step X-ray lithography (LIGA, Lithographie, Galvanoformung, Abformung; German acronym - lithography, electroplating and molding), which proposes the lithography technique to fabricate micro-scale 3D metal structures. He has attempted to incorporate radiation dynamics of microwave electronic devices with PBG (Photonic Band-Gap) structure and surface plasmonics, which led to creation of an intensive THz (terahertz) wave generation concept using near-field interaction between the counter-streaming electron beams and the surface plasmonic metal structure. This idea can be applied to large SNR (Signal-to-Noise Ratio) applications such as in-vivo bio-medical imaging/tomography, noninvasive diagnostics, high-resolution radar and telescope system, and high-data-rate remote telecommunication. Currently, he is developing a new type of MEMS-integrated W-band klystron module and an ultra-wide-band THz TWT (Traveling Wave Tube) amplifier. The main research projects are a DARPA HiFIVE (High Frequency Integrated Vacuum Electronics) program to build a hybrid microwave power module (MPM) incorporated with HPA (High Power vacuum tube Amplifier) for THz communication and sensing system and Joint Non-Lethal Weapons Program (JNWP) in MURI program to develop WSBK (W-band Sheet Beam Klystron) for ADS (Active Denial System), which is funded by the Air Force and the Marine Corps. He proposed an ultra-wide band THz wave generation scheme (DARPA HiFIVE project) based on phase-staggered plasmon-electron coupling interaction, which was verified by numerical FDTD (Finite-Difference-Time-Domain) PIC (Particle-In-Cell) computer simulations. Currently, a new MEMS technique which takes advantage of UV (Ultra-Violet) lithography and DRIE (Deep Reactive Ion Etching) is under investigation for the device micro-fabrication/integration. Also, he focuses on combining various negative index metamaterials (NIMs) with RF electronic devices to develop a compact high power THz coherent radiation source, which can be massively produced by on-chip MEMS fabrication for military and commercial applications.
- Young-Min Shin (corres.), Diana Gamzina, Larry R. Barnett, Frank Yaghmaie, and Neville C. Luhmann Jr., "UV Lithography and Molding Fabrication of Ultra-Thick Micrometallic Structures using a KMPR Photoresist," IEEE J. Microelectromech. Syst. (submitted), (2009)
- Young-Min Shin (corres.), Larry R. Barnett, and Neville C. Luhmann Jr., "Quasi-Optical Output Cavity Design for a 50kW Multi-Cavity W-Band Sheet Beam Klystron," IEEE Trans. Elec. Dev. 56 (12), 3196 (2009)
- Young-Min Shin (coress.), Larry R. Barnett, Diana Gamzina, Neville C. Luhmann Jr., Mark Field, and Robert Borwick, "Terahertz vacuum electronic circuits fabricated by UV lithographic molding and deep reactive ion etching,", Appl. Phys. Lett. 95, 181505 (2009)
- Young-Min Shin (corres.), Larry R. Barnett, and Neville C. Luhmann Jr., "Phase-shifted traveling wave tube circuit for ultra- wideband high power submillimeter wave generation," IEEE Trans. Elec. Dev. 56 (5), 706 (2009)
- .Young-Min Shin (corres.), Larry R. Barnett, and Neville C. Luhmann Jr., "Strongly confined plasmonic wave propagation through an ultra-wideband staggered double grating waveguide," Appl. Phys. Lett. 93, 221503 (2008).
- Young-Min Shin (corres.) and Larry R. Barnett, "Intense Wideband Terahertz Amplification Using Phase-Shifted Periodic Electron-Plasmon Coupling," Appl. Phys. Lett. 92, 091501 (2008).
- Young-Min Shin, Jin-Kyu So, Kyu-Ha Jang, Jong-Hyo Won, Anurag Strivastava and Gun-Sik Park, "Evanescent Tunneling of an Effective Surface Plasmon Excited by Convection Electrons," Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, 147402 (2007).
- Young-Min Shin, Jin-Kyu So, Kyu-Ha Jang, Jong-Hyo Won, Anurag Srivastava, and Gun-Sik Park, "Superradiant Terahertz Smith-Purcell Radiation from Surface-Plasmon Excited by Counter-Streaming Electron Beams," Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 031502 (2007).
- Seok-Gy Jeon, Young-Min Shin, Kyu-Ha Jang, Seong-Tae Han, Jin-Kyu So, and Gun-Sik Park, "High Order Mode Formation of Externally Coupled Hybrid Photonic-Band-Gap (PBG) cavity," Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 021112 (2007).
- G. S. Park, Y. M. Shin, J. K. So, S. T. Han, K. H. Jang, J. H. Kim, and S. S. Chang, "Feasibility Study of Two-Step LIGA-Fabricated Circuits Applicable to Millimeter/Submillimeter Wave Sources Theoretical Study of Cross-Talking Signals between Counter-Streaming Electron Beams in a Vacuum Tube Oscillator",High Energy Density and High Power RF: 7th Workshop (American Institute of Physics), CP807, 299, 2006
- Young-Min Shin, Jin-Kyu So, Jong-Hyo Won, and Gun-Sik Park, "Frequency-dependent refractive index of one dimensionally structured thick metal film", Appl. Phs. Lett. 91, 031102 (2007).
- Young-Min Shin, Jin-Kyu So, Seong-Tae Han, Kyu-Ha Jang, Suk-Sang Chang, and Gun-Sik Park, "Microfabrication of Millimeter Wave Vacuum Electron Devices by Two-Step Deep Etch X-ray Lithography," Appl. Phys. Lett., 88, 091916 (2006).
- Young-Min Shin, N. M. Ryskin, Jong-Hyo Won, and Gun-Sik Park, "Theoretical Study of Cross-Talking Signals between Counter-Streaming Electron Beams in a Vacuum Tube Oscillator, " Phys. Plasmas, 13, 033104 (2006).
- Seong-Tae Han, Young-Min Shin, and Gun-Sik Park "Investigations on a Micro-Fabricated Folded Waveguide Traveling-Wave Tube Oscillator", IEEE Trans. Elec. Dev. 52, 702 (2005).
- Seong-Tae Han, Seok-Gy Jeon, Young-Min Shin, and G. S. Park, "Experimental Investigations on Miniaturized High Frequency Vacuum Electron Devices", IEEE Trans. Plas. Sci. 33, 679 (2005).
- Young-Min Shin, G. S. Park, "Circuit Analysis of an Extended Interaction Klystron", J. K. Phys. Soc., 44, 1239 (2004).
- Seong-Tae Han, Kyu-Ha Jang, Jin-Kyu So, Jung-Il Kim, Young-Min Shin, and G. S. Park, "Low-Voltage Operation of Ka-Band Folded Waveguide Traveling Wave Tube", IEEE Trans. Plas. Sci. 32, 60 (2004).
- Young-Min Shin, Gun-Sik Park. G.lenn P. Scheitrum, and Bernard Arfin, "Novel Coupled-Cavity TWT structure using Two-Step LIGA Fabrication", IEEE Trans. Plas. Sci. 31, 1317 (2003).
- Patent No: EFS ID (2311139), Application No (60979392), Confirmation No (6268) (Provisional)
Date: Oct. 12 (2007)
Title: Barnett-Shin Traveling-Wave Tube (TWT) Slow Wave Circuit for Millimeter and Sub-millimeter Wave Vacuum Electronic Microwave Amplifiers and Oscillators
Applicants: Larry R. Barnett, Young-Min Shin
- Patent No: Application No (RD-200801-004-1) - Country: South Korea
Date: 01. 19 (2008)
Title: THz and Microwave Meta-material
Applicants: Young-Min Shin, Gun-Sik Park
- Patent No: RD-200611-011-1 (Docket No.: P58456), Application No (10-2007-0001159)
Title: Mask used for LIGA process, method of manufacturing the mask, and method of manufacturing microstructure using LIGA process
Applicants: Young-Min Shin, Jin-Kyu So, Gun-Sik Park, Chan-Wook Baik, Jong-Min Kim, Yong-Wan Jin
- Patent No: 10-2004-0099278
Date: Dec. 30 (2004)
Title: Counter-Streaming Multiple-Beam Oscillator
Applicants: Young-Min Shin, Seong-Tae Han