EEC235 – Photonics
4 units – Winter Quarter; alternate years
Lecture: 3 hours
Project: 1 hour
Prerequisite: EEC 230
Grading: Letter; homework (20%), midterm exam (20%), design project (20%) and final exam (40%).
Optical propagation of electromagnetic waves and beams in photonic components and the design of such devices using numerical techniques.
Expanded Course Description:
The course focuses on the propagation of electromagnetic waves and beams in photonic components and the design of such devices using numerical techniques.
- Optical Propagation of Planewaves in Stratified Media
- Multilayered media.
- Planar optical waveguides.
- Periodic media.
- Photonic bandgap structures.
- Optical Propagation of Beams
- Paraxial wave equation, Gaussian beam solutions.
- The eikonal equations, ray tracing, ABCD matrices of linear media and optical elements.
- Transformation of Gaussian beams by optical elements.
- Practical Optical Waveguides
- Rectangular waveguides – Wave equation and Effective index method
- Radiation from waveguides
- Optical fibers – single mode step index fibers, multimode step index fibers, graded index fibers, birefringent fibers
- Dispersion and transmission capacity
- Coupled Mode Theory
- Codirectional couplers
- Contradirectional couplers
- Derivation of coupling coefficients
- Numerical Methods
- Fast Fourier Transform Beam Propagation Method
- Pulse propagation in fibers
- Field propagation in waveguides
- Finite Difference Beam Propagation Method
- Staircase Concatenation Method
- Analysis and Design of Ligthwave Components
- Mach-Zehnder interferometer
- Ring resonators
- Fiber Bragg Gratings
- N x N star coupler
- Arrayed-waveguide Grating
- Add/drop multiplexer
- N x N matrix switch
- Fundamentals of Optical Waveguides: Katsumari Okamoto
Instructors: Knoesen; Heritage
The course does overlap with EAL264B. EAL264B which was introduced in 2000, will be taught on the Livermore campus. EEC235 will continue to be taught on the Davis campus. EEC235 contains a significant engineering design emphasis which is absent from EAL264B.
Last revised: September 2001